ADSM-L

(RETRY) Event record deletion, archive symlinks, wishlist ADSM V3

1997-07-25 12:55:35
Subject: (RETRY) Event record deletion, archive symlinks, wishlist ADSM V3
From: Lothar Guthmann <ltg AT GOME5.PHYSIK.UNI-BREMEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:55:35 +0200
Hi all,

I sent this mail over a week ago to the list and got no single response
back and I think it is maybe lost somehow. So here it goes again.

OS: AIX 3.2.5.1

  ADSM server: AIX 2.1.0.13
  ADSM client: AIX 2.1.0.6

It seems that the event deletion has still a bug. It deletes only events
with a status of "Completed". I set the event record retention period to
10 days, but I have events dated from February with a status of "Uncertain"
and "Missed".

Next, the client bails out when archiving a symbolic link which points to
nothing and the subdir option set to "yes". Is there a fix for this? It
would be reasonable to build into the client archive function an option
"followsymlink=yes|no". The followsymlink should be also available for
restore/retrieve to ensure that it is possible to recreate a symlink which
points to nothing under any circumstances when followsymlink is set to no.

And last, as a wishlist for ADSM V3, it would be nice to have:
  - an unlimited number of copygroups in a management class,
  - a modified archive which performs an incremental archive,
  - archive copygroups with the same retention policy as backup
    copygroups,
  - an option that makes it possible to do a fsck before
    backing up/archiving a filesystem. In case of an error with fsck there
    should be an option to skip the backup/archive (without expiring active
    files) or to try a partially backup/archive (if a file can be read
    without error, backup/archive it, if the file can only be read with an
    error, skip the file, but don't expire the file).

Thanx in advance.

Greetings, Lothar