ADSM-L

Re: Labeling Problem: Limited to 6 Chars?

1997-07-16 14:53:09
Subject: Re: Labeling Problem: Limited to 6 Chars?
From: Brian Pennington <Brian_Pennington AT AICI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:53:09 -0500
     Dataware
     P.O. Box 740947
     Houston, TX 77274
     for information/order call 800/426-4844

     Brian Pennington
     Unisys Corp.

Subject: Labeling Problem: Limited to 6 Chars?
Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> at SMTP
Date:    7/16/97 11:09 AM

We're running ADSM version 2 for Windows NT and have a barcode reader in
the tape library. The ADSM manual says it will truncate everything after 6
characters, but it doesn't seem to work that way with our 8 character
labels. The activity log reports that the label exceeds 6 characters and
refused to truncate and except only the first 6 characters. We also tried
8 character labels that start with two spaces (eg. "  NR0399") and ADSM
didn't like that either. It threw it out for exceeding the 6 character
limit.

Has anyone had a similar problem or gotten labels with more than 8
characters to work with a barcode reader? Also, can anyone on the list
suggest a dealer that can provide 6 character labels (we've bought 3
batches now...none have worked)?

Thanks,
Drew Wilson
Missouri Department of Natural Resources.