ADSM-L

Archive cartridges stored out of robot

1997-07-15 09:59:48
Subject: Archive cartridges stored out of robot
From: Francis Maes <fr.maes AT CGER DOT BE>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:59:48 +0100
Hello ADSMers,

Our ADSM server is running on MVS. 3490 cartridges are written and read
in a STK SILO.
Our MVS "archive" cartridges are ejected and stored in a bunker.
If an "archive" cartridge is needed, the application will ask it to be
entered in the robot before to execute the mount.

How can we forsee the mount demand generated by the retrieve command on
a  ADSM Backup-Archive Client interface?

On one side, the ADSM client dont see the volser of the cartridges where
his data are recorded. On the other side, MVS world cant preview the
action of the ADSM client.

I have tried to put the volume "unavailable". In this case, the client
recieve a message that the data are unavailable and ADSM server shows a
message on the MVS console. But this message dont give the VOLSER of the
asked volume. Then, no automation possible with it.

If someone should have some idea about it ......

Thanks,
Francis

Francis Maes                    ASLK-CGER Services GIE  - Belguim
ADSM Server Administrator       Rue Fossé-aux-Loups, 48 - 1000 Brussels
Storage Management              E@Mail: fr.maes AT cger DOT be