ADSM-L

Re: ADSM priorities

1997-07-09 12:46:26
Subject: Re: ADSM priorities
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 17:46:26 +0100
Matthias,  I asked for, and obtained, this information about server priorities
(via PMR0970X in September 1995) when I first started with ADSM:

  "     Retrieve, Export, Import, DBBackup, and DumpDB can preempt mount
 points from other functions and cannot be preempted themselves.
 Audit and Restore will not preempt nor will be preempted either.
 Other functions can be preempted. "

It doesn't tell the whole story but this is all I have ...

It would be very nice if there were options available to dynamically
configure devices for tasks - i.e. to say restores/retrieves on 1 stream;
recalls on 1 stream; 1 stream for restore volume; 1 stream for move data
or whatever the priorities were at the time.

The facilities on offer today are somewhat primitive - I agree that disabling
the server is not a satisfactory solution, but that's your only option right
now! Commiserations.

Best wishes, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275