ADSM-L

Disaster Recovery NT4.0

1997-07-08 11:53:24
Subject: Disaster Recovery NT4.0
From: "Bartl, Michael" <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:53:24 +0100
Hi,
after the discussion over the last few days I did a few experiments
today. I'm glad it was not a real disaster as the results are quite
poor. Here's a short report:

I have a testserver with Windows NT4.0, MS-Exchange, MS-SQL-Server. To
have the possibility to restore for a new try I installed BackupExec
(Seagate) on the same machine.

I did the compete backup using ADSM. Even after having stopped all
services concerning Exchange and SQL, I could not get ADSM to backup
really all files from the machine. There remained about 10 skipped files
that were opened by the system at backup time.
I reinstalled a basic NT after formatting the harddisk. The new
configuration had the same servername and, of course, a working ADSM
client installed.
DSMC REGREST ENTIRE, which got me back a lot of files without any
error reported an error after restoring, that the current registry could
not be replaced and the old one would stay active. OK, maybe it becomes
active after a reboot...
Reboot worked and the registry seems to have changed, as the machine
fails to start some services from the old configuration.
DSMC RESTORE -SUBDIR=YES -REPLACE=ALL C:\   restored many files, but
skipped a few. Does the option REPLACE=ALL really work as it should?
Now comes the filnal reboot: The machine reports the right servicepack
level but freezes after painting only one dot into the second line of
the blue screen...

Now, I can try the St. Bernard Open File Manager to get ADSM picking
really all files at backup time, but not to restore them properly. Does
someone have an idea how to do the restore of files and registry without
using another partition (which is not a practicable solution)? Is there
a redbook for disaster recovery (didn't find one)?

Regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl, ADAC e.V. (IDL/PPO)