ADSM-L

ADSM DB Backup and Compression

1997-07-07 18:36:10
Subject: ADSM DB Backup and Compression
From: Peter Thomas <Peter_Thomas AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 18:36:10 -0400
From: Peter Thomas on 07/07/97 06:36 PM

This afternoon, just as a test, I thought I'd try performing a BACKUP DB to
a device class of FILE rather than my standard TAPE. My initial thought was
that I wanted to see how much space might be needed to do the backup to
disk, and then use some "manual" process to duplicate it elsewhere, rather
than trying to figure out offsite tape handling for the DB Backup volumes.

Once I managed to find a file system where I had enough space, sure enough,
the backup wnet like a charm, creating 123 files each 4M in size. ( I had
the max capacity set fairly low on the device class). Out of further
curiousity, I then decided to try the compress command; much to my pleasure
(or dismay), I saw that each of these backups dropped to being between 1
and 1.5M in size!

If only ADSM would itself perform compression on these DB backups, I might
almost consider doing the regular backups to disk, and having another
process "move" them onto other systems.

Oh well; here's dreaming! (and thinking, I'd better figure out a way to
send DB backup off site for disaster purposes),

Peter T