ADSM-L

AW: Win NT disaster recovery

1997-07-07 09:14:02
Subject: AW: Win NT disaster recovery
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:14:02 EDT
*** Comments From: JULPHINN - JULIE PHINNEY; 07/07/97 08:01am
Hi Michael,
I used FAT so that I could boot to DOS and copy the registry SYSTEM
hive from D: to C:.  It sounds like what I should have done was
create the directory structure, WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG, copy the
SYSTEM hive over, convert to NTFS, THEN do the restore -rep=no.
I can boot up and logon as Administrator, but my Net Uses aren't
working and I don't know enough about NT to figure out.  I intend
to get some help today and I'll update this list if there are any
changes to the procedure I laid out on Friday.  I will try the
convert to NTFS before restore and after SYSTEM hive copy this morning.
Dan..
I checked the boot.ini prior to booting up the C: drive to make sure
I knew which line pointed to C:.  Then when I logged on, I noticed it
required the password for the restored system's ADMINISTRATOR id, not
the password I'd created and been using on the D: drive.  I also
noticed that the default prompt had switched to C: instead of D:  so I
I HOPE all that means I was using the NT on the C: drive.  (But like I
said, I'm quite new to NT)
Thanks for all your help!
Julie

*** Original Author:  I1014833 @ IBMMAIL - ** Remote User **; 07/07/97 02:32am