ADSM-L

Questions for Details on Record-Breaking VLDB Backup/Restore

1997-07-02 12:39:31
Subject: Questions for Details on Record-Breaking VLDB Backup/Restore
From: Mike Broomhead <mike_broomhead AT UK.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:39:31 EDT
: Mike Broomhead,                    ITSO San Jose,           :
: mike_broomhead AT uk.ibm DOT com          Almaden Research Facility:
: GBIBM4F2@IBMMAIL or broomm@NHBVM1  San Jose, California     :

Ref append by John Stephens

John,
I cannot answer every one of your questions, but to be honest nobody
can. This is bound to start a discussion.....

IBM 3590 is faster and more reliable than DLT with roughly the same
capacity (DLT and 3590 will leapfrog each other on capacity). 3590 builds
on 3490E technology, but dramatically improves it. It is the tape of
choice in the petrolium and other industries, over DLT, because of it's
speed and reliability. It's available with SCSI attach to UNIX or Escon
to mainframe.

The ADSM V3 preview text documents the fact that we're going to come out
with an ADSMConnect Agent for Oracle on Sun Solaris.

The SP switch is the network inside the SP linking the nodes together.
I could go on for ages about the shared-nothing architecture of the SP:
how much do you know ?

EBU is an Oracle tool and interface, not an IBM one. Therefore we
don't publish platform support other than for IBM platforms. Contact
Oracle. What I will assert is that the RS/6000 SP is THE leading player
in the parallel database market: RS/6000 platform was the first platform
that Oracle developed a parallel database for, and Oracle ship more
OPS licenses for the SP and AIX than any other platform. The SP is taking
off big time for mission critical applications such as Oracle/SAP,
and much more. I do not believe HP or Sun can match the SP (this goes
back to the shared nothing architecture, which as I say is a long story.
SMP is limited in as far as it can go, shared nothing is not).

PTF12 and PTF13 are ADSM/AIX Server PTFs. 13 is to be available very
soon.

The ADSM GUIs are consistent accross platforms. You can manage all the
nodes attached to one server from one GUI.

ADSM uses its own database; it is optimised for what ADSM needs. The user
doesn't see the database. There is tuning you can do -- se the ADSM
Performance Tunning Guide (it's on mkttools in IBM, I'm sure it must
be on the Web pages somewhere !).

The last part of your note deserves more than a note in reply -- you
really need to talk this over I think. Do you have an IBM representitive?
cheers,

Mike Broomhead
Storage and Data Management,
RS/6000 Sales Support, IBM Manchester