ADSM-L

Excessive Write Errors

1997-07-01 04:40:00
Subject: Excessive Write Errors
From: ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU; backed(a)MAIL.MODOT.STATE.MO.US
To: ADSM-L(a)VM.MARIST.EDU
Date: Tuesday, July 01, 1997 8:40AM
Hi,

We have a 3494 Tape Library with 3590 cartridges.(4 drives)  A few days back we
noticed we had excessive write errors on alot of tapes coming from the same
drive.  (We currently have that drive varied offline)  Anyway those tape are
set to read-only.  Wehave tried setting them back to read-write and using them
again but then we get this message:

ANR8776W  Volume ##### in drive 3590drv# contains lost VCR data.

The user response to this error is to MOVE DATA off the tape or to let new data
append to
the end-of-tape (VCR data is then rebuilt) or to use a tapeutil program which
we are not
familiar with.

Finally to the questions...

1.  Has anyone encountered the problem with excessive write errors on
cartridges??                            (Seems to me to be a hardward problem.)

2.  How can/did you make those cartridges usable again??

Thanx