ADSM-L

Re: Full volume backups

1997-06-27 05:07:09
Subject: Re: Full volume backups
From: Mauro-Frank <MSMAIL.MAUROF AT TSOD.LMIG DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:07:09 GMT
I would go with method number 2 but I would not create a new Management Class.

This is what I have done to run a full volume backup (this will not include
files which have been excluded.)

1) I have created a new schedule which runs on Sunday to do an incremental
backup (this schedule runs at a different time from my regular backups)
2) Associate the node you want to do a full volume backup to this new schedule

Then using the ADSM Schedule (Type=ADMIN) the following commands are issued an
hour before the schedule I created in step 1 runs:
3) update the current Management Classes to change the Mode from MOD to ABS
   (wait 15 minutes-no particular reason)
4) activate the Policy the Management classes are under

The schedule will then run on Sunday running a full incremental backup.

Then later that day using the ADSM Schedule (Type=ADMIN) I do the following:
(I normally wait about six hours-again no particular reason-I just know that the
full volume backup has been completed and this is still before my regular
backups)
5) update the current Management Classes to change the Mode from ABS to MOD
6) activate the Policy the Management classes are under

Hopefully this helps.

Frank Mauro
Liberty Mutual
Portsmouth NH