ADSM-L

Backup Preview function

2015-10-04 18:07:24
Subject: Backup Preview function
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 6/26/97 3:37PM
You can already do what you ask.....

1. Set up your new Exclude List

2. Start up the GUI client

3.  Select Backup by directory tree, and check the directories/files that you
have excluded.

Excluded files will be shown in a hazy gray color, indicating that they are
unavailable - not unlike a function in a pulldown you can't use.  non-excluded
files will be dark black - and can be selected to do a selective backup.
Excluded files can not be selected.

A similar scenario can also be done with the "Restore by File Specification"
option - the list of files returned will include files that are "greyed out"
from the exclude list, and cannot be selected.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    6/26/97 3:37 PM

Hello ADSMers,
 I've had a user request a function from ADSM which I don't think exists,
but I can see a use for: A "preview backup" function. What this function
would provide is the ability to run a backup without sending the data to
the server but just listing which files would be backed up. This would be
great for verifying that the exclude list was working as designed, before
sending serveral MBytes of data to the server.

So, has anybody done this? Or, if not, see enough need that we can get IBM
to include it in the future?

Dennis Riley               riley AT timken DOT com
Technical Principal        330-471-3515
The Timken Company         Canton, OH
Former CICS techie seeking the riches of UNIX Administration