ADSM-L

Re: remote console support and wnt adsm servers

1997-06-26 10:45:59
Subject: Re: remote console support and wnt adsm servers
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 10:45:59 -0400
Hi,
  Here is a code fragment I use to make the console ring for each mount
request:

                clear
                echo Starting ADSM console...
#
#                some tricky stuff here to get beeping messages
#
                mknod .piper.$$ p
                dsmadmc -id=$ID -password=$PASSWORD -consolemode  >
.piper.$$ &
                awk -F'|' '{
        f = 0
        b = 0
        l = length( $1 );
        for( i = 1; i <= l ; ++i ){
                if( substr( $1, i, 8 ) == "ANR8319I" ||  substr( $1, i,
8) == "ANR8308I" ){
                        b = 1;
                }
                if( substr( $1, i, 25 ) == "started for administrator"
){
                        f = 1;
                }
                if( substr( $1, i, 23 ) == "ended for administrator" ){
                        f = 1;
                }
        }
        if( f == 1 ){
                continue;
        }
        if( b == 1 ){
                printf " %s", $1 ;
        } else {
                printf "%s", $1 ;
        }
        for( i = l; i < 80; ++i ){
                printf " ";
        }
        printf "\n";
}' < .piper.$$
        rm .piper.$$

The script also does some filtering to reduce the number of messages
that the operators see.  Note that I use -consolemode rather than
-mountmode (though it would probably work there as well).
This is part of a series of wrapper scripts I wrote to allow us to
This is part of a series of wrapper scripts I wrote to allow us to
perform daily operations with relatively unskilled help.  In addition to
providing an operator interface for daily operations, the scripts also
manage backup of primary pools to secondary pools, tape reclaimation,
and database, device configuration file, and volhistory file backups,
limiting the number of tape drives and time consumed by these
operations.  Given enough
( number_of_tape-based_storage_pools + 2 + network_factor * [[
dsm_factor * dsm_clients * users/dsm_client * storage/dsm_client *
delta_storage/dsm_client ] + [ hsm_factor * hsm_clients *
users/hsm_client * storage/hsm_client * delta_storage/hsm_client ]] )
tape drives  we could use the ADSM administrative scheduler for some of
these operations, but...

Jim