ADSM-L

On-Bar Archive instead of Backup (or how to fake it)

1997-06-25 21:06:56
Subject: On-Bar Archive instead of Backup (or how to fake it)
From: Vilmundur Palmason <villi AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 01:06:56 +0000
> From cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM on 25-06-97 01:40:05:
> >From:         Vilmundur Palmason <villi AT NYHERJI DOT IS>
> >Subject:      ON-Bar Archive instead of Backup
> >To:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >Can anyone tell me if On-Bar (the Informix Backup Utility) can use ADSM
> >Archive instead of ADSM Backup.
> >The Redbook on Using ADSM to back up databases says that by default it
uses
> >backup
>
> Vilmundur, I do not believe there is anyway to change which copygroup
> onbar is using.  Why do you want to use archive instead of backup?
> thanks, Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)

Thanks for your reply.  Here is why I am asking:

I am working with a customer who is evaluating ADSM.  They run many
applications on many  servers, the most critical ones on AIX machines.
They want to use ADSM for their daily backups but they also want to
take a copy each month for permanent storage.

The ADSM Archive process seems to be well suited for that and much can be
accomplished with a normal file system archive.  However, some of their
applications run on Informix.  So the question is, how do they set up a
schedule where they back up their database every day with a backup
retention setting of X days while taking a copy (or Level-0 backup/
archive) every month that never expires ??

Can anyone tell me if one of the following would work:

1.  Using a different management class
Which Backup Copy Group controls the number of days before an extra backup
copy of a file expires: the one that is active when the EXPIRE INVENTORY
command is run or the one that was active when the file was backup up ?

If it is the latter, then they could switch to a different management class
when doing the archive.

2,  Using a different node name
Can they create a special nodename in a seperate policy domain and switch
to that nodename by using a different dsm.opt file when they want to
archive ?

Many thanks to all who reply,

Vilmundur Palmason

Systems Engineer