ADSM-L

Re: DLT drive support under AIX

1997-06-25 13:15:22
Subject: Re: DLT drive support under AIX
From: "Mark J. Cecil" <mjc AT WAYLOO.TCS.TULANE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:15:22 -0500

> Can anyone confirm whether DLT4000 drives are supported for all
> tape libraries that appear in the supported storage devices list
> for AIX ? I can't see why it should be supported for one library
> but not another but looking in the latest release notes ( v2r1m_f12.README )
> under Addendum to Server Device Support, the ATL Odetics ACL 4/52 library
> has only DLT 2000 marked as a supported drive whereas a TTi Q47 has both
> DLT 2000 and DLT 4000 support.

Since the drives are defined as separate devices from the autochanger (library)
both under AIX and ADSM, you should be able to use any drive that is supported,
and any autochanger mechanism that is supported as a library.  (When ADSM lists
support for a library, they mean that at least the LIBRARY part is certified,
and that the drive types in the library are also supported) Since all dlt4000
drives show the same vendor ID string, your ATL drive will likely work just
fine.

> Does anyone know when DLT7000 drives are going to be supported under
> ADSM/AIX ? It was hinted back in January that it would be coming soon -
> and I believe I have seen mention on this list of people actually using
> them - but I see no reference to them in any release notes.

I hear rumors that the DLT7000 itself is not entirely stable.

Mark

--
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================
============== See me at http://www.Tulane.EDU/~mjc ======================