ADSM-L

[no subject]

1997-06-24 09:38:05
From: Ian Northeast <i.northeast AT POCLK.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 14:38:05 +0100
Cyndie, this looks very good. Are any more details available, e.g. what
model RS/6000 is the server, how many tape drives are being used, is the
backup staged via disk and if so how big is the pool, what level is the
server software?

Thanks

Cyndie Behrens wrote:

> Some fantastic ADSM VLDB results are published today....see attachment.
> thanks,
> Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)

> Contact:
> Cheryl Vyfhuis
> IBM Storage Systems Division
> cvyfhuis AT vnet.ibm DOT com
> (408)256-2217
>
>     IBM SETS RECORD WITH BACKUP AND RESTORE OF DATABASE
>
>    SAN JOSE, Calif., June 23, 1997...Building on its tradition
> as the technology leader, IBM clearly has demonstrated
> that database management can reach new heights with
> the release of performance results today.
>
>     IBM's storage software, processor, disk and tape products
> broke all previous records when a 736-gigabyte Oracle database
> was backed up in less than one-and one-half hours. This is one
> of the largest databases ever tested, with wall clock rates of
> up to 523 gigabytes per hour measured during the test. The database
> also was successfully restored in less than a two-hour period.
>
>   The results were achieved in real time, during continuous
> operation (including tape mount). The test, conducted at
> IBM's RS/6000 Teraplex Integration Center in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.,
> used IBM's ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager software, running
> on an IBM RS/6000 SP processor, IBM 7133 Serial disk drives,
> IBM Magstar 3590 tape drives in a 3494 Tape Library, and an
> Oracle Parallel Server.
>
>   IBM's Teraplex Integration centers have been designed to integrate,
> optimize and stress test very large business intelligence systems and
> applications. These centers address the market's increasing
> reliance on very large databases for business critical operations.
>
>  "Our customers increasingly require the best and fastest
> storage and other solutions for backing up and restoring large
> volumes of data,"said Joe Catucci, manager of IBM Teraplex
> Integration Centers, Global Business Information Systems,
> Poughkeepsie, N.Y. "This test is an excellent demonstration
> of how the synergies of IBM products can be exploited for
> the benefit of our customers."
>
>   The power of IBM's RS/6000 parallel architecture clearly
>  was demonstrated as the server was able to perform simultaneous
>  multiple operations at fast speeds. Even when more tapes were added,
>  backup and restore performance remained at an extremely
>  high level, indicating superior linear scalability of IBM
>  backup system.
>
>    "The results are not extrapolations but an
> actual nine megabytes per second average data transfer rate
> per tape drive during backup," said Mary LaVern, IBM director
> and business line manager, Storage Software. "The test effectively
> leveraged ADSMConnect Agent for Oracle and Oracle's Enterprise
> Backup Utility Parallel Version in a very sophisticated
> environment to achieve these optimal backup and restore
> performance results."
>
>    IBM is one of the first companies to provide
> large-scale integration testing and verification facilities
> [...]

Ian Northeast                                 Tel: +44 171 441 1232
Ian Northeast                                 Tel: +44 171 441 1232
Technical Infrastructure Support Manager      Fax: +44 171 441 1357
P&O Nedlloyd Limited
Beagle House
Braham Street
London E1 8EP                  Email: i.northeast AT poclk.demon.co DOT uk
UK