ADSM-L

Extended Attributes on OS/2

1997-06-23 10:22:45
Subject: Extended Attributes on OS/2
From: Dave Barber <dbarber AT FORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 10:22:45 -0400
     Has anyone out there determined the frequency and/or accuracy
with which ADSM backs up the EAs of files and directories? We have a
client who attempted a bare-metal restore, and their startup folder
came back empty. Although I know with FAT the ea_data file will
change and be backed up, with HPFS the data is contained within the
file. So if c:\desktop\os!2 system\startup\ (a directory which
contains no files but does contain the EA data telling OS/2 which
icons belong in the startup folder) has another icon added to it,
will ADSM recognize that the directory itself has changed, and back it up,
or will that data be lost in the event of a meltdown?

     A second thought - with FAT, does anyone know whether the ea_data
pointers are accurate after a restore, or do they point to garbage?

Thanks,
David Barber