ADSM-L

Win NT recovery

1997-06-22 22:32:57
Subject: Win NT recovery
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 22:32:57 EDT
Help anyone with NT clients..
We are going to do an offsite disaster test in July where we assume
the replacement hardware will be different from existing hardware.
Therefore, the bootable recovery (actually it's just a repair partition
on removable media) described in the Bare Metal redbook won't work.
I'm trying to create disaster recov. instructions that basically do:
1. Install NT from scratch.
2. Install ADSM
3. Use ADSM to restore the data.
I know very little about Win NT, and I don't understand the registry,
but it seems to me you'd want some of that back.  Now if I understand
correctly, we can't just restore it, because the target hardware is
different.  But does that mean we can't restore any of it?  It's
divided into pieces, right?  According to my ADSM doc, we can restore
these hives: SAM SECURITY SOFTWARE SYSTEM
So what are you all doing in the event of this kind of disaster.. where
you have different replacement hardware.. Just dont restore the
registry at all?  In addition to some kind (what kind?) of REGREST  do
you do a
DSMC RES C:\* -su=yes -rep=no ???   Or just skip the C: drive?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
TIA
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM