ADSM-L

Re: (Fwd) ADSM data security

1997-06-20 11:21:24
Subject: Re: (Fwd) ADSM data security
From: Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:21:24 -0400
        From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
        To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

        With great concern for offending academia, I'll wade in with this: =
        businesses, with the exception of our friends in government, which may =
        not be considered business anyway, don't seem to have the fear of data =
        security that academia does (or do, I've lost the tense in this fine =
        sentence).  I find that odd.  Of which data are we so concerned?
Eric's =
        comments about physical security are very valid.  I've seen the most =
        elaborate of computer security techniques, but anybody could have
walked =
        in a removed the whole damn site!

Businesses, in general, can assume that their "inside" users have the good
of the company at heart - this is *not* the case in academia, where
J. Random Student may have accounts on many machines for various purposes,
and may consider "security investigation" a part of the college experience.
We can't corral them all, and don't have the same sort of leverage over
them that a company has over employees.  They also tend to "explore" off hours,
when backups are often scheduled.

I don't understand _your_ objection to end-to-end channel encryption of the
backup process - it's another layer of security.  Sure, make it an option -
those of us who need it can turn it on, and those of you who don't think
you do can skip it.  IMO, any modern service should provide this.

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu