ADSM-L

Re: (Fwd) ADSM data security

1997-06-19 15:53:02
Subject: Re: (Fwd) ADSM data security
From: Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:53:02 -0400
             My response to these questions, and we do get them, is to say, "If
you
             are worried about privacy of data, encrypt the files on your
machine."
              Doing so won't affect ADSM performance, as a strategy that
encrypted
             during the backup process would.

             I think people are trained to ask this question but don't much
follow
             thru on locking the door on the room that contains the machine, and
             other more basic measures.

             erl

I'm sorry - that's a bit of a copout.  There are many environments where
it's relatively easy to snoop on a network, but individual machines are
access-controlled.  Here, for example, we run encrypted telnet or ssh
between sessions on machines so casual sniffing can't read the traffic as
it happens, but if ADSM doesn't encrypt, then we're exposed during the
backup cycle anyway.

Also, for our uses, it makes much more sense to take a hit on the backup end
rather than everytime the file is accessed by a user process.

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu