ADSM-L

Re: Use of DLT tape libraries

1997-06-19 15:37:49
Subject: Re: Use of DLT tape libraries
From: Mark Roberts <mkr AT OPENMIC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 14:37:49 -0500
Chuck Tomlinson 793-0730 wrote:

> Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>  writes:
> ------------------------------
> >Date:    Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:25:04 -0400
> >From:    "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
> >Subject: Re: Use of DLT tape libraries
> >
> >We are using an STK 9710 (which I think is fundamentally the same as a
> >9714) with 5 DLT drives, and it is superb.
> >So far it appears to even outperform our 9710's with 3490 drives!
> >
> >Be aware that to fully use it, you need the STK ACSLS software and the
> >Adsm Enhanced Server code.
> >(Some resellers don't make that clear when you order the box.)
> >
> >And read the instructions in the Enhanced Server README file CAREFULLY.
> >That is the information you use to configure the 9710 to ADSM.
> >
> ADSM show now have the drivers to run the 9714 & 9710 in direct attached
> mode and not have to use the ACSLS code.  I ran a beta version of the drivers
> on a test 9714 and it work fine.   As stated in a previous post it is
> supported
> in 2.1.X.12 version of ADSM server.  You can find is listed in the file:
>
> v2r1m_f12.NEWDEVICE.SUPPORT
> | STK 9714             | DLT 4000                    |  1 to 6  |  40-100 |
> | STK 9710 (SCSI Only) | DLT 4000                    |  1 to 10 | 252-588 |
>
> What the ACSLS code does buy you is the ability to run more then onephysical
> ADSM server off of the tape library.  If that is not a requirment then I would
> say use the new drivers.
>
> Chuck T.
> (just another ADSM user)
> Disclaimer: These are my views and not those of my employer.
>
>  Charles (Chuck) N. Tomlinson               IBM Global Services, Austin, Texas
>  Phone: (512) 823-0730  Tie Line: 793-073   Storage Management Division
>  http://w3.austin.ibm.com/~chuckt           Email: chuckt AT austin.ibm DOT
> com

Direct attach is supported for STK 97xx libraries.  Direct attach
appears to
have a few other differences than just non-support of multiple ADSM
servers.
Direct attach will not support mixed media, also loading and labeling
volumes
with direct attach is a bit more painful, IMHO.  The licensing structure
is
different as well.  ACSLS-attached 97XXs fall under Module 3 support;
direct-attached 97XXs fall under Module 4 support.

Mark

--
Mark Roberts                            Mail:  mkr AT openmic DOT com
Mark Roberts                            Mail:  mkr AT openmic DOT com