ADSM-L

Re: How to backup/restore Novell-Files unter Windows

2015-10-04 18:07:24
Subject: Re: How to backup/restore Novell-Files unter Windows
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 6/18/97 4:24PM
I have not looked for a Webshell.NLM, but would be surprised if one existed,
since the webshell would use the internet browser from a netware server????

We have all restores for NetWare files handled through a LAN administrator
(same for NT boxes as well - we don't have a significant UNIX implementation,
so I can't speak to them).  This makes sense for a couple fo reasons.....

1.  I don't want customers to know what the passwords are for ADSM......

2.  There is a security issue here - a netware client restore can handle any
file backed up.  This kind of access is almost never appropriate for an end
customer.

That does not, however, mean that I "like" the current interface - I think
that it does need a GUI based interface that can run from another platform,
such as Windows.  Let it interface with the NetWare box, and only allow it to
restore to the server, not back to the machine doing the request - that would
address the cross platform data issues, and also handle the wase of use
complaints.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    6/18/97 4:24 PM

I take it there is no webshell.nlm?  Because I need everybody to use ADSM but
don't want everyone to use RCONSOLE.