ADSM-L

Re: backup status after filesystem deletion

1997-06-18 11:10:29
Subject: Re: backup status after filesystem deletion
From: Bradley King <king AT MONTROUGE.GM.SLB DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:10:29 +0100
>ADSM does not know whether you've deleted the file system or simply dismounted
>it, so it does nothing to that file system's backup version.
>
>If you want to delete the entire filespace from ADSM storage, you can use the
>DELETE FILESPACE command.
>
>Andy Raibeck
>ADSM Level 2 Support

I am VERY, VERY glad ADSM works this way! A typical scenario is a system
that reboots after a power outage and a disk either crashes or fails
an fsck.  The file system is not mounted but the scheduler runs. If ADSM
expired the whole files system a restore on a new disk would indicate
that there are no active files and no easy way to tell which of the
inactive files were  really on the system before the crash.  This scenario
was my
personal experience 10 days ago. So I am happy with this choice, which
allowed me to restore all 10,000 files w/o a hitch.