ADSM-L

Re: Compressed Data Grew

1997-06-11 10:26:14
Subject: Re: Compressed Data Grew
From: Francisco Franco <francisco.franco AT HYDRO.ON DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:26:14 -0400
Hi Mark,

Mark Rizzo wrote:

> ADSM Folks,
>
> Can anyone tell me why I keep getting the message,
> "Compressed Data Grew" when trying to incrementally
> backup a file that I know is NOT changing? Since I have
> the retries set to two, it will eventually successfully
> backup the file. These files average 600MB in size, so
> an unnecessary retry really slows things down.
> Any suggestions??
>
> The file system is static and the file modification
> date is several weeks old. I'm running AIX 4.1.4 and
> ADSM v2.1.5.10. I'm backing up files from a Solaris
> 5.5 system.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Rizzo
> DOD

I too have noticed this.  I get these kind of messages/actions when
the file has been gziped, although, I don't get this sort of messages
when the file has been compressed through the use of UNIX compress.
I too feel it's kind of annoying, but I have much greater problems
with trying to integrate jfs files soft linked and hsm files that this
sort of thing becomes rather trivial.  I just assumed that the the
ADSM compress function was not smart enough to detect that the file
was already compressed and that it tried to compress a compressed file
thus making it bigger.

I hope that his helps.

Francisco
x9477
--
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca