ADSM-L

query libvolume output

1997-06-06 15:00:58
Subject: query libvolume output
From: "Kent L. Johnson" <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:00:58 -0400
We're running ADSM v2.1.0.12 on AIX 4.1.4 with 3 3590 drives and a 3494
tape-robot.

I've been looking at the volume usage on our 3590 tapes, and I don't
understand the following situation.

If I execute 'query volhist type=dbbackup', there are seven entries.  This is
as expected, since we do a 'backup db' and 'delete volhistory' every day.  I
expect to have 7 days of DB backup tapes.

If I execute 'query libvolume' there are ten entries with status=private and
'last use'=DbBackup.

So, there are 3 3590 tapes which the library believes are private, and whose
last use was DbBackup, but which have no volume history of DbBackup.  The
last entry for each of these volumes in the volume history is STGDELETE.
 Each of these entries is also more than 6 months old.

There are also no entries referencing these volumes in 30 days of activity
log.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?

I believe that I can execute 'update libvolume <lib> <volume> status=scratch
on each of these volumes and all will be well.

I wonder how this happened.  Anyone care to take a guess?

Kent

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu