ADSM-L

Backup copy group settings?

1997-06-05 19:56:35
Subject: Backup copy group settings?
From: "Mark Brown (CC Operations Supervisor)" <CCMB AT MUSICA.MCGILL DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 19:56:35 EDT
Hello,

Since I started testing ADSM on a MVS 4.2.2 server with UNIX and
WIN95/NT clients I have used the standard settings for DOMAIN and
COPYGROUPS.

For backups the settings are as follows:

VERSIONS DATA EXISTS = 2
VERSIONS DATA DELETED = 1
RETAIN EXTRA VERSIONS = 30
RETAIN ONLY VERSION = 60

DAY1) A user backs up a file I keep it for 60 days.
DAY2) The user backs yp the file again. I keep that one for 60
      days while the first one will go away in 30 days.
DAY3) The user deletes the file. I now get rid of the file on DAY1 and
      keep the file from DAY2 for 60.

The data being backed up the most often is from a pop-mail server which
is very active data. The numbers currently being used from STANDARD
settings make me wonder what other people out there are using. I know
I can make new copygroups and domains but I was curious about what
numbers you use for backups.

In particular if you are backing up user mail files of any kind what
settings do you use.

Thank You,
  Mark Brown, Operations Supervisor
  McGill University, Computing Centre