ADSM-L

DB2 Raw Logical Volume Backup

1997-06-05 15:37:47
Subject: DB2 Raw Logical Volume Backup
From: Tom Stewart <tstewart AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:37:47 -0400
Hello,
We are considering how to use ADSM to backup a DB2 database that uses RAW
LOGICAL VOLUMES.
Our question is, When DB2 does it's backup, it gathers all of the data off of
the RAW LOGICAL VOLS along with
any other volumes and put's them in the backup file created and timestamped by
DB2.  IF this is true is it necessary to
use the ADSMPIPE program, or some other method to do an "additional" backup of
the RAW LOGICAL VOLS?
I guess the main question here is does DB2 backup up every thing associated
with the DB2 system and instance?
When we do a "dsmc q files" for this node we see the files system but there are
no timestamp's like there are for the other
file systems.  The type is DB2/6000 also.  Capacity is 5.9% and utilized is
100% but there are no timestamps or other
information.
Hope this is clear, but we are a little confused.

Another question, When you do a DB2 BACKUP command and specify USE ADSM, where
does it place the backup
file that is created, the one with the timestamp that you get in response?

Tom Stewart
HONE/IBMLink Aix Support
Boulder, Colorado
8/347-2786