ADSM-L

Re: sgi and xfs

1997-06-05 13:58:19
Subject: Re: sgi and xfs
From: Bill Nickless <nickless AT MCS.ANL DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:58:19 -0500
At 08:34 AM 5/29/97 -0600, Efrain L. Hinojosa wrote:
>Does the adsm client 2.1.6 for sgi support
>xfs on iris v6.2 ?

Not officially but I have successfully backed up an SGI Indy running IRIX
6.2 with XFS and restored it completely using only the IRIX 6.2 CD-ROM and a
network connection back to the ADSM server.  Here is a summary of the
process I went through to restore this machine; it is a pretty standard SGI
IRIX 6.2 setup on an R4600 Indy (with a failing disk that needed a reformat)
except that we're also running AFS.  Skip (*) if you aren't running AFS.

1.  Install ADSM client software, run incremental backup with
    "domain /" in dsm.opt.  Write down/memorize client password.
    [Note: this machine has two partitions: / and /usr/vice/cache]
2.  Boot fx from IRIX 6.2 CD-ROM, reformat disk, run surface checks.
    Partitioning sizes were changed but not the partition numbers.
3.  Boot installation tools from CD-ROM.
4.  Follow prompts to format / as an XFS filesystem.  Installation
    scripts automagically mount this as /root/.
5.  Once at inst>, type "admin sh" to get a miniroot shell.
6.  mkfs -t efs /dev/dsk/dks0d1s7                                   (*)
7.  mkdir -p /root/usr/vice/cache                                   (*)
8.  mount /dev/dsk/dks0d1s7 /root/usr/vice/cache                    (*)
9.  hostname <old machine hostname>
10. ifconfig ec0 A.B.C.D netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    [Note: the ADSM server is on the same subnet.  If this had not been
    the case I would have done a "route add default E.F.G.H" command to
    get a route to the ADSM server into the kernel.]
11. tftp'd sgi.v2r1m6.IP20995.tar from a tftp server to /usr/tmp.
    [Note: IRIX miniroot doesn't have ftp, just tftp]
12. mkdir -p /usr/adsm ; cd /usr/adsm ; tar xvf /usr/tmp/sgi*tar \
    adsm-sgi.client.tar.Z ; zcat adsm-sgi.client.tar.Z | tar xvf -
13. cp dsm.opt.smp dsm.opt
14. cat > dsm.sys
    server ralph
    commethod tcpip
    tcpport 1500
    tcpserveraddress A.B.C.X
    <control-d>
    [Note: I suppose I could have tftp'd this rather than typing it
    in by hand, but I didn't bother to put the file on tftp server.]
15. Run /usr/adsm/dsmc and test with "query filespace" to verify
    connectivity, correct node name, and correct password.
16. Then, at the dsmc prompt: dsmc> restore / /root -subdir=yes
    [Note: this stopped from time to time asking to overwrite files;
    if I did it again I would probably use the -replace=all option.]
17. After about an hour, all the files were restored from the ADSM
    2.1.5.12 server on an RS/6000-59H reading from an IBM 3590 tape.
18. rm -rf /usr/tmp/sgi*tar /usr/adsm
19. cd /root/dev ; ./MAKEDEV
20. cd /CDROM/stand ; /root/sbin/dvhtool -v create sashARCS sash
21. mkdir /root/afs                                                 (*)
22. mknod /root/usr/lib/sysmon/syserr.FIFO;
    chmod 600 /root/usr/lib/sysmon/syserr.FIFO
23. exit miniroot shell, quit inst, allow to reboot

It didn't go as smoothly as it looks above; steps 18-21 took a few reboot
attempts to get worked out.  Unless you do step #20, you must boot sash from
the CD-ROM and then run /unix from the appropriate partition.  Step 22 we
found out only after a few days when sysmon kept spinning at 100% CPU
utilization.

There are some patches from SGI that update sash; after performing this
"bare metal" restore from CD-ROM and ADSM, I forced a reinstall of patch
#1397 which is the current (as of the last time I checked) XFS rollup patch.
This wrote the latest and greatest sash to the boot partition on the disk.

Note that this process restored /usr/adsm/*; however, you may want to test
dsmc again to make sure that if you're using passwordaccess=generate you
still have agreement between the ADSM client and server.
--
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390