ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Backup Directly to 3590 Tapes

1997-06-05 12:12:42
Subject: Re: ADSM Backup Directly to 3590 Tapes
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 18:12:42 +0200
On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Tom Stewart wrote:

>  I'm very new to the ADSM world and have a question concerning backing up
> clients (in my case other AIX servers)
> directly to high performance 3590 tape drives in a 3494 library.
>
>[...]
>
> Is there any advantage of going direct to disk rather than to tape (other than
> speed of recovery of files, i.e. no mount
> wait time)?

If you have a lot of nodes and you do tape collocation, you can only
backup as many nodes directly to tape at the same time as you have tape
drives. This may or may not be a restriction in your environment. If it
is, it is removed if you first backup to disk.

Backing up to disk and then migrating to tape has also a drawback. ADSM
is not capable to migrate and to take new backups for the same node at
the same time (this is not a formal restriction, but performance drops in
a prohibitive manner). So if you first backup to disk, you should not
start migrating to tape until the backup is complete.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany