ADSM-L

Win95 bare metal restore

2015-10-04 18:08:07
Subject: Win95 bare metal restore
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 5/30/97 4:48PM
Because the Win95 Long File names support is somewhat unique, the only way we
have had any success is as you suggested in the last paragraph - install a
short version of Win95, and then restore everything on top of it.  We have
also installed Win95 into a temp directory (Win95t instead of Windows).  This
allows for a full restore of the Win95 directory, User.Dat and System.dat
without worrying about read only files.

We one time tried to use the "forced" write over read only files and blew the
machine away - we overlaid a COMPAQ driver for the video driver, and shortly
thereafter the system stopped.

I also recommend that when the restores are complete, power off the machine - do
not do a normal shutdown.  This keeps from rewritting the system.dat files, etc.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    5/30/97 4:48 PM

I read the Redbook on bare metal restores for Windows 95 and cannot for the
life of me understand the procedure for backing up the base system.

I do not have a locally attached backup device or an OS/2 system available,
so it looks to me like my only choice is to create bootable DOS diskettes,
as explained in the DOS/Windows 3.1 procedure.

Is this correct? And if so, where do I find all those files? Quite a few are
nowhere to be found on my Windows 95 system. Do I need to find an old Win 3.1
system or is there an alternate list of Win 95 files that I can use?

I also do not understand why ERU is used to backup system config files. When
is that backup used in the recovery process if I am doing a full restore
using the DOS diskettes?

And as an aside.... Why not just reinstall the "compact" version of
Windows 95, then reinsall the 32-bit/ADSM and do the full restore? Seems
to me that it's not just a matter of which goes quicker, a restore of the base
system accross the network or a reinstall from CD-ROM, BUT is the time saved
worth all the hassle involved in making bootable DOS diskettes with the DOS
version of ADSM??

Any HELP would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

Michael