ADSM-L

Re: MULTIPLE CONCURRENT BACKUPS ON NT CLIENT

1997-05-30 17:01:00
Subject: Re: MULTIPLE CONCURRENT BACKUPS ON NT CLIENT
From: Ken Puckett <KenP AT EIG DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 14:01:00 PDT
Here's what I came up with to perform a backup of a large Oracle / NT
server:

*  The server is a Tricord PowerFrame ES running Win NT 3.51 SP5 and an
Oracle database.  There are four Pentium 100 CPU's in the system.  Total
number of bytes on the server that get backed up by an incremental backup
operation are about 17 GB.

*  A scheduled backup is performed on the NT server.  The DSM.OPT
contains the line:  "preschedulecmd
c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup_s.bat"

*  BKUP_S.BAT performs the following:

...commands here to perform a stop of the Oracle databases...

del c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup01_d.txt
del c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup02_d.txt
del c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup03_d.txt
del c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup15_d.txt

start /high bkup01.bat
start /high bkup02.bat
start /high bkup03.bat
start /high bkup15.bat

@echo off
echo Backing up the Oracle database files...please wait
:loopit
if not exist c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup01_d.txt goto loopit
if not exist c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup02_d.txt goto loopit
if not exist c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup03_d.txt goto loopit
if not exist c:\win32app\ibm\adsm\baclient\bkup15_d.txt goto loopit

*  A typical BKUPxx.BAT file looks like this:

dsmc sel e:\ora_data\clbrdat1.ora -password=xxx >> bkup01.log
copy dummy.txt bkup01_d.txt
exit

*  In general, what happens is that the PRESCHEDULECMD in DSM.OPT runs
BKUP_S.BAT, which shuts down the Oracle database, deletes some text files
that I use as flags, and starts 15 threads (BKUPxx.BAT) that run a DSMC
SEL command against one of the database files.  When any thread ends, it
sets a flag that it's finished by creating a dummy text file called
BKUPxx_D.TXT.  The BKUP_S.BAT performs a loop until all 15 flags are
present, then the BKUP_S.BAT ends and the normal scheduled incremental
backup begins.

 ---

About half of the Oracle files are 2 GB each, the remaining are anywhere
from 500 MB to 1.5 GB.  If I back up the server using a normal
incremental backup operation, it takes about 12 hours, and the net CPU
utilization is only 15%.  But, by running multiple threads to backup the
bigger files on the system before performing the normal incremental
backup, the net CPU utilization is at a solid 100% while the majority of
the 15 threads run, and the entire backup process takes but 100 minutes!

I imagine that there are more elegant ways to do this, and I'd appreciate
hearing from anyone attempting to do something similar with ADSM backing
up a multi-CPU Windows NT client.

Ken Puckett
Network Manager
Eagle Insurance Group, Inc.