ADSM-L

Re: WinNT: Include / Exclude lists

1997-05-29 09:58:11
Subject: Re: WinNT: Include / Exclude lists
From: Peter Thomas <Peter_Thomas AT MANULIFE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:58:11 -0400
From: Peter Thomas on 05/29/97 09:58 AM
Thanks to all who replied; sure enough; changing the Exclude to using a
single * from *.* has worked GREAT!

Peter Thomas
Manulife Financial
Phone: (416)963-7371
Fax: (416)926-5454

From: courtney @ TIMKEN.COM on 28/05/97 08:02 AM

Please respond to courtney AT timken DOT com

To:   ADSM-L @ VM.MARIST.EDU
cc:    (bcc: ADSM)

> From: Peter Thomas on 05/26/97 01:44 PM
>
> In the creation of an Exclude statement under Windows/NT, is the "case"
of > the directory names coded important?

> Checking the outputs from my scheduled backups, I see that slthough I do
> have coded an
>   EXCLUDE            *:\...\PAGEFILE.SYS
>   EXCLUDE            *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\*.*
>   EXCLUDE            *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\...\*.*
>
> there are errors in the DSMSCHED.LOG saying
>   ANS4228E Sending of object 'C:\WINNT35\system32\config\admin000' failed
>   ANS4090E Access to the specified file or directory is denied
>   ANS4638E Incremental backup of 'C:' finished with 6 failure

Peter,

Take a close look at the failing filename:  "admin000".  Unlike Dos and
Win95, the advanced operating systems such as UNIX and OS/2 typically do
not treat the period as a special character in a filename -- it's just
another symbol like an alpha, numeric, dash, etc. In other words, if you
specify "*.*" for the exclude, you are telling ADSTAR to look for all
files containing at least one period in their names, just as "*-*" would
look for files containing one or more dashes.

The filename "admin000" is not the same as "admin000." on NT, UNIX, or
OS/2. This better handling of periods allows these systems to use files
such as "CONFIG.SYS.BACKUP" or "MYPROG.C.RELEASE.19970528" which can
be extremely convenient if you're a developer! :-)

Try using "*:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\*" in your EXCLUDE statement, and I
suspect you'll have better results.

"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the| Scott D. Courtney
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the| Scott D. Courtney
liberty of removing Windows 95 from my  | Sr. Telecomm Analyst
hard drive." -- Arthur C. Clarke in US  | The Timken Company, Ohio USA
News & World Report (3-31-97), on what  | Intranet web site:
he would have liked HAL 9000 to say.    | www.ctnvm.inside.tkr/~courtney

cc: riley AT timken DOT com