ADSM-L

Automating DB2/2 backups

1997-05-29 10:48:39
Subject: Automating DB2/2 backups
From: Eric van Loon <evanloon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:48:39 +0200
Hi ADSM-ers!
I have a customer who wants his DB2/2 v1.0 machine backed up by ADSM.
I have recently bought the manual "Using ADSM To Backup Databases" which
contains a whole chapter about backing up DB2/2 databases. My problem is that
all scenarios covered are talking about manual backups. I want the backups done
automatically, fully controlled by ADSM. So I want to schedule the backup
through ADSM which rules out the possibility of using the DB2/2 backup utility.
The only scenario I can come up with is the following:
Have ADSM execute a REXX file on the OS/2 client which:
1) Stops the database
2) Stops the database manager
3) Backs up all SQL00xxx directories
4) Start the database manager
This is one of the options described in the manual but IBM's DB2/2 people say
this is NOT a reliable way to backup DB2/2! This because DB2/2 does some
administration outside of the SQL00xxx directories which will be out of sinc
when doing a restore.
Is there somebody who has a successful scenario to backup DB2/2 databases using
ADSM?
Thanks in advance for your reply!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon