ADSM-L

Re: MULTIPLE CONCURRENT BACKUPS ON NT CLIENT

1997-05-28 20:15:24
Subject: Re: MULTIPLE CONCURRENT BACKUPS ON NT CLIENT
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 19:15:24 -0500
Laurie,

   We do parallel backups on a couple of our larger WinNT servers.  We use
the schedule service and the AT command for scheduling of the second
process.  However, the suggestion someone else made to schedule this via
ADSM's scheduler sounds like a good idea.

The servers that we run in parallel have several large hard drives.  What I
did was make a batch file that did  a) Set the evironment variables dsm_dir
and dsm_config and then b) initiate an incremental on the last 2 hard
drives on that system.  The regularly scheduled backup backs up all hard
drives in the system.  The advantage to doing this is that by using a
regularly scheduled incremental that starts at the first hard drive, it
will reach and evaluate the last two hard drives after the batch file was
completed.  This insures that you will get error reporting on the scheduled
event should there be something wrong with the last two drives.

I hope this helps,
  Dan T.