ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 18:08:07
     This is for the rest of you, Damon is right across the hall and can
     get this info quicker than the long way via across the country and
     back.

     #1 Currently ADSM is good enough to beat both you and your hardware
     into the ground!  That is you will definitely discover what your weak
     links are in your computing environment.

     #2 'Cause of #1, MVS has discovered that 3390 Mod-9's are SLOW ! ! !
        (that was already known but it is REAL CLEAR NOW )

     #3 MVS & ADSM will only take disk pool storage files to the limit of
     32-bit addressing THUS a dedicated mod-9 to a diskpool requires
     multiple files to reside on it in order to fill it.

     #4 MVS was feeling left out due to all the AIX ADSM environments so to
     make it feel better it now has a 100+GB diskpool and enough clients to
     make it beg for forgiveness...

     #5 ADSM, by observation, has some real good algorithm for spreading
     out the work/data across available resources AS FAR AS FILES/VOLUMES
     DEFINED TO ADSM (it doesn't break it down to op sys levels, ie
     physical devices, just logical items)

     #6 If you have 6 files/vols per physical device, 10 devices per
     diskpool... random chance dictates that sooner or later you will have
     only 6 sessions and they will all be going to the same physical device
     (sigh) Oh, and increased workload triggers increased frequency of
     random events !

     7# I'll answer the question below now....

     Spread EVERYTHING out as much as you can !  across : physical dasd,
     across controllers, across channel paths,  etc...

     Especially the adsm data base...
     (now I've done this under AIX with SSA disks but I'll describe and
     link to MVS terms...)
     my MOST spread out environment looks like:
     4 SSA cards (aprox mvs CHP), ssa cards are in pairs to cover
     failure/roll over (multiple CHP's), each pair of SSA cards (acting as
     a single card) has an A-loop (mvs dasd controll unit) and a B-loop
     (mvs controll unit), each loop has 16 drives (mvs string of dasd
     behind a controller)
     Now actually a "ssa loop" is an A1 port & an A2 port where the first
     drive off A1 is the last drive off of A2, A1 & A2 act independently
     but if A1 fails the first drive off it can still be reached as the
     last drive off A2, just a longer path... SOOOooooooo
     So I've got one db file on first disk off of card(s) (1/2) A1 & A2,
     these db vols are mirrored off of card(s) (3/4) A1 & A2; the log is
     first vol off of card(s) (1/2) B1, and the mirror is the first vol off
     of card(s) (3/4) B1
     Compared to MVS that would be each db vol is on the head of string of
     dasd, each on different CHP's, the primary DB vol's control units
     would be located on each other's secondary CHP, the copy DB vol's
     control units would be on TOTALLY different CHP's and each of their
     control units would be on each other's alternate CHP....
     Then the log volumes would be on the head of string of the second
     string of dasd behind the dbvols which would also give them alternate
     CHP's

     CAN YOU SAY :  S P R E A D    O U T    T H E    W O R K   L O A D  !
     and a lot of stuff's gonna hav'ta die before ADSM goes down...

     really sad is the clients are still killing this box !

     I'm starting to lean towards solid state dasd for the DB & LOG.

     later
         Dwight