ADSM-L

Reply to Re: Diskpool configu

1997-05-21 12:04:00
Subject: Reply to Re: Diskpool configu
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:04:00 -05
*** Original Author:  ADSM-L @ MARIST - ** Remote User **; 05/21/97 10:25am

>Date:         Wed, 21 May 1997 10:10:42 -0500
>Sender:       "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>From:         "Schumack, Wayne" <SchuW01 AT NORWEST DOT COM>
>Subject:      Re: Diskpool configurations on MVS.
>To:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Damon,
We currently have two DISKPOOLS defined, one backup and one archive.  We
have 3 mod-3 devices defined for BACKUP and 1 mod-3 defined for ARCHIVE.

We have mapped the entire volume as one virtual volume.

We have experienced no DASD performance problem backing up approx 150
mixed nodes (340 file spaces).  Some are large UNIX databases.
        I insisted that our storage pool volumes be located on RAID-1
DASD (we are using EMC), both for performance (and especially)
reliability/availability.
        Hope this helps.
> ----------

*** Comments From: STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 05/21/97 10:30am

We also have two disk pools.  One backup and one archive.
We do very little archiving so that one is very small.

The backup pool is composed of six ADSM "volumes"/vsam files.
These six linear datasets are all full 3390-3 volumes.
This is for 1000 nodes or so.

Until recently we were running with only 3 3390-3 volumes.
But migration was kicking in at undesirable times.  Also
I hope to improve co-location by allowing more client data to
collect on disk before it moves to tape by adding the additional
disk pool space.

These were on real 3390's for awhile, but are now on
a raid device.  We've not really had any problems with
device/channel utilization.  (Although when ADSM is in
the process of initializing his datasets he can do some
amazing things to device/channel utilization.)

I think basically our network link through our 3172-3 is
too slow to really drive the channels/devices very hard.

I have a performance problem open with IBM in another area
of ADSM.  One suggestion they gave was to turn off
caching in the disk pools.  They said there was a problem
where "dirty" pools can eventually develop causing excessive
IO/CPU usage.  I wasn't happy at the prospect of turning
off caching, so instead they had me cycle through
deleting each disk volume to force ADSM to copy all the
disk pool data from one volume to another.  This didn't
fix the problem I was having, but it may be applicable to
you.