ADSM-L

Re: Multiple ADSM servers & multiple tape drives.

1997-05-17 11:25:17
Subject: Re: Multiple ADSM servers & multiple tape drives.
From: Lothar Guthmann <ltg AT GOME5.PHYSIK.UNI-BREMEN DOT DE>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 17:25:17 +0200
Morris.Marshael wrote:

> One question about tape drives and ADSM.  If you have two tape drives
> connected
> to one server, is ADSM smart enough to backup to the opposite tape drive in
> the
> event the first has failed?

[stuff deleted]

It worked for us with a 7331-205 tape library, ADSM 2.1.0.12,
AIX 3.2.5 and the latest AIX device driver (one tape drive refused
to spit out a tape and had to be replaced). The server recognized
the failure and used the other drive. But I cant't remember wheather
the server canceld the backup session (which means that the client
must retry the backup) or switched over immediately. Somewhere in
ADSM is a parameter called "maxretries" or "retrylimit" or something
similar. Make sure you set it to a value greater than 1.

Hope this helps.

Greetings, Lothar