ADSM-L

Re: Node Restore

1997-05-16 07:33:00
Subject: Re: Node Restore
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 13:33:00 +0200
Hi Jane,

I will say what almost everyone else will say - It depends on a lot of
things....

I can give you some indication of what I did last weekend, although it was not
a unix
client the principle stays the same.
My setup was as follows:
ADSM server:    OS/2
Client:         Novell 3.12
10530 files / 700 Meg
Network:        4M/bit Token ring

It took me 1 hour to back up the complete Novell machine with all the client
data
stored on dasd on the OS/2 server. (This will make a big difference when you
do your restore). If you look back in the posts you will see a lot of posts
regarding restores taking a very long time etc.

My restore took just slightly longer than 1 hour.

From the above you can see that the backup and restore took about the same
time - but again there were no tapes involved.

As far as your question about the file systems are concerned:
What kind of network do you have in place?
If you have a reasonable network then you can do your restore on a file system
basis - by that I mean running a restore command for each
filesystem(directory).
This is commonly referred to as running more than one restore stream - which
will speed up your restore quite a bit.

As far as I can see you will be able to do your restore with not too much
trouble.
Will you have a working system as far as the Operating system and the network
is concerned? If so, it is just a matter of loading the adsm code and setting
the
options file with the correct information in it.

Hope this helped,

Regards
Christo Heuer
Johannesburg