ADSM-L

Re: Database Size

1997-05-16 04:38:16
Subject: Re: Database Size
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 09:38:16 +0100
Joelle,

Deletion of filespaces and expiration of files all do reduce the
space used - you must run inventory expiration regularly to get
back the space - but you do not see this reflected in the figures
when you do a Q DB. But if you watch the Q DB output over a long
period of time (like the sad little person I am ;) ) then you will
notice that there are periods after inventory expiration has run
when the size of the DB stays the same and DB space is being
reused.

I wouldn't recommend doing a dumpdb/loaddb at all for this - in
fact I have heard rumours (terrible things rumours) that your DB
can actually grow if you do this!

Hope this helps. Regards, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275