ADSM-L

Node Restore

1997-05-15 11:13:54
Subject: Node Restore
From: Jane Dagostino-Snyder <j-dago AT CAFE.TC.UMN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 09:13:54 -0600
Next week we are planning on restoring a node (server).  This is not the
server that has ADSM on it which is ADSM MVS mainframe.

The situtation here is that we have a Sun Solaris server in a test
environment containing People soft data which I will call A and a  test
server, same type and disk space ect.  that is empty which I  will call B
and will use B to restore an inactive versions on the data stored backed
up from A.
Our Operating Support support plan on shutting down A and using the IP
address that A was assigned.   They want to restore the OS once they
are done doing their thing, I will aplly the ADSM client piece on the B
machine and restore the data.
There are appox. 40,000 files, and takes about an hour and a half with
some logging going on during this time to complete the backup of A.  I am
not sure how much Meg is being transferred offhand, but from other
poeples experiences, how long would it take to restore data that took
say 50 minutes (without logging) to be restored?

When I display the node name of A there are 11 file space names listed,
they are: /, /usr,/var,/export/home,/opt,/u01,/u02,/u03,/u04,/u05,/u06.
Now does the file space names mean that they are the actual directory?
By looking at the manual ''User Guide and Reference for Unix", ( I think
this manual has be updated and may be called something else now) I
plan on restoring the server by one of the following ways:
by file specifications
directory tree
subdirectory path

Now is their a better way to restore this machine?  How many and
which other items I mentioned have a logic error in it which I am not
aware of indivually but I am assuming that in all likely hood that there is.
Thank you for any hints, insights

Jane Dagostino-Snyder
University of MN