ADSM-L

TCP/IP connection failure

1997-05-15 05:33:15
Subject: TCP/IP connection failure
From: Heiko Andresen <andresen AT DRESDNERBANK DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 11:33:15 +0200
Hi,

in the near future my organisation plans to reorganize the LAN-environment
which will lead to several, even short-timed, downtimes of some network
components. These downtimes will be at night when most backup-jobs are
active. Because we have a lot of clients that send big files any
interruption is ugly. I tested if a client-session will be reestablished
when the LAN-connection is up again and before the serversided COMMTIMEOUT
parameter cancels the sessions. The result was (again) "it depends" what
client-plattform is used. I only could test it on two plattforms, SINIX (Intel)
and Windows-NT, both with the last client-code 2.1.0.6. While SINIX only got
the TCP/IP Connection failure after 9 minutes, what whould be accaptable for me
in this case, the WIN-NT client showed this message already after 1 minute.

Now my question: Is it possible to define a value when a client should stop
trying to reestablish a session and to show up a connection-failure ?

Regards,

Heiko
--
   ***     Heiko Andresen            Internet: andresen AT dresdnerbank DOT de
   ***     Heiko Andresen            Internet: andresen AT dresdnerbank DOT de