ADSM-L

Collocation

1997-05-14 16:57:41
Subject: Collocation
From: Naveed Mustafa <Naveed_Mustafa AT MCKINSEY DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 16:57:41 -0400
Hi there,

I would like to turn on the collocation on my tape storage pool.  Since, I
never had collocation on my storage pool from Day 1, since we started our
backups using ADSM, here is what I think I should do:

1.  Create a separate tape storage pool with collocation turned on.
Checkin different sets of tapes to this newly created storage pools.
2.  Disable the old tape storage pool so that the scheduled backups uses
the newly created tape storage pool.  Since, we have incremental backups
scheduled for all of our servers, will the backups on the newly created
tape storage pool be incremental?
3.  The data that is residing on the old tape storage pool which does not
have the collocation on should be moved using the MOVE DATA command.
4.  The old tape storage pool can be deleted, once all data has been moved
from the old to the new tape storage pool.  The tapes belonging to the old
tape storage pool can then be checked into the new tape storage pool with
the status as scratch.

Just to give you an overview, I have the storage pool hierarchy of a DISK
and a Tape.  The server is running on AIX 3.2.5 machine with version
2.1.0.12.

Please suggest if the steps outlined above are sufficient, inaccurate, or
if there are some hidden traps that I am not aware of.  All suggestions
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Naveed.