ADSM-L

Re: List of files to backup

1997-05-14 05:49:41
Subject: Re: List of files to backup
From: Scotty Logan <scotty AT ZINC.OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:49:41 +0100
Eric van Loon wrote
> I have a file which contains a list of more than thousand files that
> I need to back up.
>
> Is there a way to do this easely? Can you tell ADSM to use an input
> file for selecting which files to back up?

On Unix you could use xargs to "feed" files to dsmc:

  # xargs -n 19 dsmc selective < file.list

The '-n 19' limits xargs to passing (at most) 19 filenames to dsmc at
a time -- I've had problems getting the AIX dsmc to accept more than
19 filenames on the command line.  Effectively, this is the same as
running

  # dsmc selective file1 file2 file3 ...
  # dsmc selective file20 file21 file22 ...

I don't know if there are similar utilities for other platforms (for
DOS or Windows you could try looking at some of the Unix utilities
packages -- I know some of the GNU utilities have been ported to
Windows 95).

 Scotty

--
Scotty Logan, Unix Systems Programmer, mailto:scotty.logan AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Scotty Logan, Unix Systems Programmer, mailto:scotty.logan AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk

``I met a DJ who lived in seclusion,
 Reality and sobriety were her only delusions''
        The Presidents of The United States of America