ADSM-L

Scheduling a Full Selective backup.

1997-05-12 12:52:43
Subject: Scheduling a Full Selective backup.
From: Chuck Tomlinson 793-0730 <chuckt AT AUSTIN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 11:52:43 -0500
I was wondering if anyone have been able to create a schedule to do a selective
backup of the nodes and it be of all file spaces(systems)  without having to
list each space on the 'object' line since this would be different from system
to system.

Incase some of you are asking "why does he want to do this?", here is my
thinking behind this.  If you are backing up say 400 clients (too many to turn
on collocation), after a while the clients data is going to be spread out onto
different tapes.  In an attempt to get the data on fewer tape I thought that
if I did a selective backup periodically it would help to collect the data to
fewer tapes.  Also  I want to try to reduce the impact on the "version" of each
file.  I keep 3 versions for 60 day.  If I did a selective backup every 60 days
(2 months) then it should not hurt the version count too bad.

Now having said all that, what can I put in the "objects" field to get all of
the file spaces.  I tried '*' and that just got all files in "/" only and not
any other file spaces or subdirectories.

Thanks for the help.
Chuck T.