ADSM-L

[no subject]

1997-05-06 20:57:27
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 17:57:27 PDT
Subject:Oracle Agent for NT

>From:         "Kelly J. Root" <kroot1 AT TUELECTRIC DOT COM>
>Subject:      Oracle Agent for Nt
>To:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>
>We are in the process of setting up a Tivoli environment with NT as the
>operating system. The database will be Oracle but on NT. Will IBM come
>out with an Oracle Agent like the one for AIX?
>
>Has anyone used the Oracle Agent for AIX? If so did you like it? Is it
>worth $3,400? I'm trying to convince mgmt that it is worth it.

Kelly, I'm behind on email so I'm sorry for the slow response and you
may have already received an answer.  The ADSM Connect Agent for Oracle
is the interface to Oracle's EBU....it is the only way to get EBU to work
with ADSM.  EBU does not work by itself...it will not back up to disk or
tape directly...you need to have a storage manager like ADSM.

Our next platforms for EBU support are Solaris and HP.  NT would probably
be after that.  This is not an official IBM announcement, but just some
information on trends and direction.

There are two other viable online backup (hot backup)
alternatives today for Oracle on NT support with ADSM:
1) alter tablespace with ADSM commands (script-oriented approach)
2) DataTools SQL-BackTrack (GA planned in May)
   - much more automated, easy to use, additional function such as true
     incremental backup
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens
IBM San Jose