ADSM-L

Re: Win NT disaster recovery

1997-05-06 13:11:47
Subject: Re: Win NT disaster recovery
From: Patrick Gilman <gilmanpa AT HLTHSRC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:11:47 -0400
Julie,

Yes and No.  Yes the NT Server recovery process does require an additional
partition with NT and the ADSM client installed.  No this doesn't need to be on
a removable hard drive.

With NT the registry can't be restored while NT is running.  Thus, IBM's
suggested way is to load NT on another partition, boot to this partition, load
the ADSM client, restore the original NT boot and system partitions, set the
restored partition as the active partition, and reboot.  If you do have a
removable hard drive, i.e. IOMEGA ZIP DRIVE, you can boot from this and not
have "extra" partitions on your restore server.  These "extra" partitions are
easy enough to deal with at a later time, it is only needed long enough to
restore the NT system partition.  If you have multiple NT servers to restore,
having a ZIP drive could potentially save lots of time.

I realize that if your not really an NT expert the Redbook instructions may
seem sketchy, but they really are excellent resources!

Sincerely,
Patrick Gilman (Vanstar Corporation) CNE/MCSE
Healthsource, Inc.
Hooksett, NH

>>> Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM> 05/06/97 12:08PM >>>
We are planning to do a recovery test at the disaster hot site this
summer. We're going to bring empty machines to do recoveries of
OS/2, Novell, and Win NT servers.  I've figured out the OS/2 and Novell
client bootable diskette recoveries, but I don't know much about Win NT
As I read the doc I got from Redbook Piece ADSM Client Disaster
Recovery, it appears the only way to recover an NT server is to have
100 MB bootable partition installed on a removable hard drive, that
we'd have to bring to the hot site.  Do I understand this correctly?
Thanks for any help!
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM