ADSM-L

Re: Windows NT 4.0 (2.1.6) Backup Registry again

1997-05-06 06:21:46
Subject: Re: Windows NT 4.0 (2.1.6) Backup Registry again
From: Gerhard Ginzler <gerhard.ginzler AT AKH-WIEN.AC DOT AT>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 11:21:46 +0100
> Gerhard,
>
>   I recommend that you view the sched.log on a test nt backup with the
> exclude and include you list below.  To state the obvious, see if the log
> has messages that the registry was successfully backed up (using NT's
> regback to adsm.sys) as well as messages indicating that adsm.sys subidr
> was backed up.  If you see the first type of messages, but not the second
> then I would deduce you do need the include statements you ask about.  If
> you add these include statements then obviously you should test again for
> verification.  By doing this testing you will have satisfied yourself of
> what is required without relying on people of unknown experience levels.
>
> Please post back your results if you decide to run the tests.
>
> Dan T.
> ----------

Here are the results:

Test 1:
-------
        Include/Exclude list:
        Include/Exclude list:

        ex *:\...\*
        in "*:\...\user junk\...\*.*"

        The sched.log shows ANS4427I Registry Backup function completed
        successfully.
        The incremental backup doesn't backup the files in directory adsm.sys.
        The function "Restore by tree..." shows the same, "Restore registry"
        results in "Drive not found".

Test 2:
-------
        Include/Exclude list:
        Include/Exclude list:

        in "*:\...\user junk\...\*.*"

        The sched.log shows ANS4427I Registry Backup function completed
        successfully.
        The incremental backup does backup the files in directory adsm.sys.
        The function "Restore by tree..." shows the same, "Restore registry"
        works as designed. All is wonderful, bells are ringing etc.

Question: Is it a lack of documentation, is it a sloppy implementation?

Gerhard Ginzler