ADSM-L

Re: Export/import

1997-05-01 17:39:11
Subject: Re: Export/import
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/NA" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:39:11 -0400
Julie,
        Easiest way I found to do this is with ADSM macros in a batch job.  An
ADSM macro, without continuation characters, is limited to 256
characters.  You can go up to 1500 characters if you use continuation
characters --

Import Node devclass=cart3490 filedata=all -
vol=111111,222222,333333,444444, -
555555,66666,etc...

One of the problems I ran in to migrating ADSM from MVS to AIX was the
1500 character limit.  If you have to import close to 250 tapes (250 * 6
character volsers), you go over the 1500 character limit.  We had some
imports containing over 400 tapes -  I found out from ADSM development
that you don't need to specify the volsers on an import on AIX, ADSM
will simply ask for the next volume sequence - #1, #2, etc..  This
worked great since we were using a standalone 3490E with an ACF and just
kept feeding it tapes - saved a lot of typing and typing errors -
nothing like having to cancel an import on the 60th tape because you
typed in the wrong volser   I did test the import function without
entering the volsers on our ADSM MVS system and it wasn't supported at
the time. Before finding out about not having to enter the volsers (and
making that typo error on the 60th tape of one import),  I used to run a
query actlog on our MVS system to extract the volsers that were created
during the import, redirected the output to a file,  then used a clist /
ISPF edit macros to massage that into ADSM macro format which I used for
the import process on AIX.   Obviously don't need to do this for a
handful of tapes but this came in handy when the volser list is big.

        As far as scratching the exported tapes, I would wait and verify that
everything was imported properly, comparing the import stats  versus the
export stats (files / kbytes transferred), made sure the first
incremental backup for that client ran cleanly, then manually scratched
the tapes.

Good luck !!

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com