ADSM-L

Re: Boosting performance of the Solaris server?

1997-04-29 05:15:11
Subject: Re: Boosting performance of the Solaris server?
From: Russell Street <r.street AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 21:15:11 +1200
Hello all...

Thanks for all the responses to my queries.  You have given me much to
think about.

After consideration, I do not think I have a "network performance"
problems, nor a problem with other tasks on the server or client.

After some more experiments, I finally managed to get the ADSM server
to use raw disks for storage pools instead of files on file systems.

That change made the thing *fly* along compared to what it was doing
before.

Russell

> From:    Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>

> My network guy can give you chapter and verse on why this may
> not be a network problem.

Being a network person, I don't think that it is a network problem
either.  The sign on my office door says 'The network is the symptom [of
a deeper problem].'

I suspect my deeper problem is not setting up ADSM optimally.

Often the "deeper problem" is the person who is complaining does not
know what his clients and servers are actually doing.  This certainly
was the case here.