ADSM-L

Re: FX32! - ADSM ALPHA NT

1997-04-22 09:52:32
Subject: Re: FX32! - ADSM ALPHA NT
From: Deba Patnaik <VMRMAINT AT IBRDVM1.WORLDBANK DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:52:32 EDT
We have a large user base with several Alpha NT servers running Lotus
Notes. We have been requesting a native ADSM client for the last 6 months
but we were told by our Sales Rep that it is a known requirement but
no plans for implementation yet. I tried using FX32, but who will support
you if you have problem - Adstar will say that is not a supported
platform and DEC will say we do not support the product. Our IBM sales
rep said, we would be better off placing Lotus servers on IBM platform,
because it is all IBM. Dear Adstar Lotus Notes is an IBM product, if you
support it under Alpha NT why can not you support ADSM on Alpha NT ?

After the negative response from IBM, I started researching for options.
As a stop gap, I am mounting the alpha nt drives from an intel box
and backing up. It is taking way too long for backup. The other options
available in the market are Legato, Seagate and Cheyenne. We found
Cheyenne to be extremely comprehensive including boot diskette for
full image restore and lotus notes incremental backup support for
Alpha NT platform. We have over 100 field offices running notes servers
and we will deploy the backup software.

In head-quarter, we are purchasing a Magstar Robotics which will be used
by ADSM and also by Cheyenne from a SUN box.

Unfortunately we will not be able to protect our investment in ADSM for
the lack of support for our business but we have to live with that and
go on.
Recently I heard SEAGATE client can backup to ADSM server. If that is the
case Alpha NT may be supported but I do not think they have NOTES backup
feature.

Deba Patnaik (202) 473-2736

>Date:    Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:07:30 +0100
>From:    Dieringer Walter VAI/COI <Dieringe AT LINZ.VAI.CO DOT AT>
>Subject: Alpha / FX!32 machine type mismatch
>
>Because there is no Alpha-ADSM-client available
>I installed ADSM 2.1.0.6 with FX32, Version 1.1, on my Alpha (WindowsNT
>4.0).
>The command line of the ADSM-client works well with FX32.
>Also the FIRST at-Job (after the installation of ADSM) worked well.

1= Help      2= Add line  3= Quit      4= Tab      5= Clocate     6= ?/Ch