ADSM-L

Exb10i w/ 12/12 Server

1997-04-21 17:19:06
Subject: Exb10i w/ 12/12 Server
From: Francisco Franco <francisco.franco AT HYDRO.ON DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:19:06 -0400
Hi Again,

I have upgraded our server to the latest version of the adsm server
on AIX 3.2.5 (ie 2.1. 12/12).  Everything seems okay, except for the
management of our EXB10i.

The 10i works great for Tapes# 1-5 but as soon as 6-10 are tried to
be accessed I get an error with the following characteristics:

  OP=00006C03
  CC=205
  KEY=FF
  ASC=FF
  ASCQ=FF

I get this as a result of loading the EXB10i using the following
command:

        checkin libvolume exbauto1 status=private search=yes

The results are, that as soon as it hits tape #6, the machine goes
into a loop of loading/unloading the tape from the drive, then
leaving the tape in the drive and moving the arm to the tape storage
location.  It does this about three times than it gives up, goes
to the next slot and try to move the next tape (tape #7) onto the
drive and find out that a tape already exists.  At that point it
will give me the error info listed above.

We have been using the 10i since January of this year and it has
worked fine since then, up till the software upgrade.  We use the
Exb10i to perform month-end archives of our systems.  This way, we
can alway go back to the configuration of a particular month.

I have read the README file included with the server upgrade, but
have not found any references to the server not being able to
support the 10i.

The 10i is running in random mode with parity disable turned on.

We also have a 7331 attached to the same server and it is working
without any problems.

Anyone else with Exb10i's run into the same or similar problem and
have a solution?

TIA

Francisco
x9477
--
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca